PlaneShift Quick-Start Guide
(How to save hours of trial and error)
1) Verify this checklist to
- You need a Windows, Linux or Macintosh
computer (laptop or desktop)
- You need at least 500Mb of free space on your Hard
- You need a good video card. The minimum is around a
GeForce3 or ATI Radeon 8500. Usually the video card
is more important than the CPU
- You need 512Mb of RAM or more.
- You will be connected to the internet while playing,
so you need a permanent and stable connection, like ADSL
(someone reported to play well also on a 56k modem).
To download the game you need a good internet connection
or will take lot of time.
- You should disable firewalls or routers
blocking port 7777. Usually it's not possible to play
when behind a corporate firewall (from work for example!)
2) Installing and registration. You need
3 things to play PlaneShift:
- The base
installation file (around 250Mb in size), that you can
get in the download page
with direct download or with bittorrent.
- Run the updater
program, located in Windows under Start->Programs->PlaneShift->Updater
. If updater seems to not work, try Start->Programs->PlaneShift->Updater
- An account. This is totally free, but
we require an email verification. Go to this
choose the type of server you prefer, then click on Create New Account, insert your data and wait
a verification email. The email will require you to click
on a link an choose a password to activate the account.
3) First login and char creation:
- When the game starts you have to enter your email as
login, and the same password you choose on the registration
- If you
see numbers to the left of server name,
means the server is up and running, if you read
"Fail", means that the server is down or you
cannot reach it due to firewall issues. To see if the
server is up go the main web page of the server, example: Zeroping or
check on the left columns the "Total Online" players
connected; if this number is greater than 0 then the
server is up.
- You will be requested to create a new
character - you can go for the "Quick" creation where
most options are chosen for you, or the "Custom" option.
For now select the Quick, and come back later with another
char. You can have up to 4 characters. You can delete
them at any time.
4) When a character is created, you will
enter the PlaneShift 3D world. We hope to provide many
different possibilities to players, but at the moment the
game is as so wide as we would like, so your options are
limited. The next steps explain how to gain money, items
and complete quests to gain experience and improve your
- Move with the arrow keys and explore
the world, and press 'm' to change the camera setting. Clicking
on the Option icon (to the top left) will give you access to the keyboard
configuration, and check there all keys used in the game
to control your character.
- If you have chosen
the cat race, you will start in their home city, called
Ojaveda. Explore the surroundings a bit, and locate the
tavern of Brado. Here you can speak with him to get some
quests, or look downstair to find a few rats you can
- If you have chosen any other race you will start in
Hydlaa, the main city. Explore the surroundings a bit,
and locate the blacksmith by the plaza - his name is Harnquist.
You can get some quests from him. You can also walk between
the houses to find the entrance to the sewers where you
will find some rats to kill.
- PlaneShift is a roleplaying game and players are encouraged
to always roleplay their character while in game, please
read this brief introduction to roleplay.
- Your character is pretty young and unexperienced,
with little or no knowledge on fighting and magic. Because of this reason, you can afford to kill only some rats to
practice combat. This is probably the best way to start
making some experience and money.
- Be careful about which rats you choose -
right click on them and check their description. Avoid
the "robust" ones, and attack the normal ones. You can attack
them with bare hands.
- To attack, just right click on the monster and click
the sword icon. Look at the top right of the screen and
you will see your and its life going down. Be sure to avoid death! If you are in trouble, run away and return later.
- If you manage to kill a rat, you can
right click on the corpse and get some loot. Rats do
not have much, but you can sell some animals parts or
the hide. In Hydlaa you can sell the animal parts to
Liera Zireti found in the arena, to the west of
the iron temple. In Ojaveda you can sell the animal parts
and hides to Hirenn Darmeth.
- If you want to start with magic, you need some glyphs.
Glyphs are the base of creating and casting any spell.
If you have some money you should visit Levrus in the
magic shop, that resides between Hydlaa and the Bronze
Doors - quite close to Hydlaa.
- When you got at least one glyph, open your spellbook from your top menu. First of all you should drag
your glyph on the purify icon. After some time the glyph
will be purified and ready for usage. Then move the glyph
to the slots at the bottom of the spell screen and save
the spell. You can now launch the new spell.
- As soon as you gain experience and some
money, you can go to a trainer and advance a "rank"
in a certain skill. For example you can visit Harnquist
the blacksmith in Hydlaa to learn how to better handle
an axe, or Trasok in Ojaveda for sword.
- Just right click on the trainer and
select the train icon. The skills window will open, and you
have to select one skill and click the train button.
- As you become more experienced in the game, you should
try taking some quests. These are given by characters
like Harnquist and Trasok. A quest requires you to use
your brain to solve it, involving riddles, puzzles,
combat or magic. Doing quests, you will advance in the
trust of various persons in the game, being able to gain
more powerful items, access hidden places and gain fame.
- To get a quest you have to speak to a computer controlled
entity (called NPC for short, Non Player Character).
So go to Harnquist or Trasok, right click on them and
select the speak icon. Now type "Hi" in the chat window (NPC tab).
The NPC will answer to you. To get a quest from him you
can ask: "Can I help you?" or "Do you have a job for
me?" or any similar phrases. PlaneShift uses a native
language parsing system that allows you to speak to NPCs
in plain English. Try to keep your phrases short
- Simple quests usually require you
to bring some item to the requestor or to discover some
10) Proceeding further in the game
- There are a number of options you have in addtion to
the ones described, like creating a guild, crafting items,
participating in live events.
- You will discover those options step by step thanks
to the community of players and other released material
like the player guide.
- Check the toolbar to the top left and
explore all menus and options.
- Before asking, please review the Help
present in game, in the Toolbar to the top left of the
screen. There you can find most commands and their detailed
- If you have problems in game you can
ask for help on our forums,
or directly in game in the "Help" channel. In the chat
window, select the last tab called "Help" and type your
questions there, an advisor (expert player or GM) will
answer you as soon as possible. Remember that they cannot
give hints or cheats, like telling you how to complete
Return to Top